Thursday, February 21, 2013

A Shift in the Wind

I suppose it was bound to happen eventually, but to be honest, I've been in no rush. To be perfectly truthful, I put it in God's hands. To be blunt, I really didn't want to think about it. What am I talking about? Returning to the workforce.

When I lost my job last April, I was blindsided. I thought I was going in for my annual review, and I walked out with one less job after ten years of service. And not to toot my own horn, but I was dang good at my job. So much for loyalty. I went through all of the stages of grief - denial, anger, etc. - and finally, acceptance. It was finally after about four months of sort of being lost that I had a routine worked out and then, with a little encouragement from two individuals in particular, a plan. That is where The Crafty Insomniac was born. And I LOVE what I do! It's been my therapy and my salvation. If it was up to me, it would be all I'd do for the rest of my life!

Once school started back up, I've upheld the promise I made to my husband to resume my job hunt in earnest. The reality is that there are changes coming up in our home and with Mr. Sunshine looking at retirement from his state job, we're not sure exactly how the future will play out. Of course, he will continue to work in another field, but change is change and it will be good to have a constant. That's where this new job comes in.

I'll be working during school hours, which is what I've been holding out for and what's taken me so long to find a job in the first place. When we had Miss Sassypants, I dropped down to part-time so we could avoid daycare; then once she started school I became involved in activities like Girl Scouts with her, so I need to be home evenings. Plus, Hubby has always worked second shift, so I need to be home when the bus gets here. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a job with those hours... Especially one that doesn't pay minimum wage??

So I'll be working in a home healthcare business; where they sell and fit such durable medical equipment as CPAP machines, breast prostheses, power chairs, diabetic shoes, hospital beds and the like. I'll mainly be doing billing. I interviewed on Wednesday, and I was there for an hour... I met everyone there and they seem great. The boss made it a point to say that she doesn't "do" drama, which I LOVE!

So as I turn this page, I do so nervously... I don't like change, but this time I'll *try* to embrace it! (Wish me luck in my new cubicle!)

And no worries... The Crafty Insomniac isn't going ANYWHERE!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I'm so happy that this job worked out for you. The hours are perfect and you are going to rock this. What a relief for you.

    Also, I totally misread "shift."

    Great news, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Becky!!!

    I think "A Shit in the Wind" would be an awesome title for a blog post, incidentally! I'm sure it would be an interesting "piece..." ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy everything is falling into place! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete