Saturday, March 2, 2013

Back in the World of the Employed

And apparently, not a moment too soon!  Just today, I received an e-mail from they New York State Department of Labor that informed me, among other things...

Beginning with the week ending April 7th, federal government budget cuts known as sequestration could affect your unemployment insurance benefits. If you are receiving regular UI benefits you will NOT see any change. However, if you are receiving federal extended unemployment benefits that start after 26 weeks, the federal government has directed us to reduce your payments by 10.7% beginning that first week in April. 

As if we didn't already know, this country is in the toilet.  10.7%?  Are you kidding me??  Not two months ago Mr. President was on TV stating that "all Americans who were actively looking for a job would continue to have the benefits to rely on."  How are you supposed to do that?  

So I started my new job on Monday.  It's so unnerving!  On the plus side, though, everyone there has just been so welcoming.  I walked in to a clean cubicle, a new computer and a stocked desk caddy.  I'm starting to learn the ropes, including the computer programs I'll be using and the procedures to follow for some of the tasks I'll be doing.  Insurnace benefits verification is a cinch...  I did that in my old job.  Only now, it's Durable Medical Equipment instead of Mental Health benefits.  By the end of the week, I had some cheat sheets, photos of my family and a filing cabinet too.  We're getting there!  I just can't wait to feel more comfortable with what I'm doing and to have a routine.  

I'll admit...  being out of the workforce for ten months, I didn't realize what an adjustment it would be to go back!  I'm only working five and a half hours a day, four days a week, but by the end of that first day I had a splitting headache from sitting in front of a computer screen.  I couldn't shake that all day!  And wow...  that day totally wiped me out!  I was so tired that by 7:00, I was ready for bed.  Pathetic, no?  When it was Sassy's beditme, I let her read her book out on the couch instead of in bed just because I didn't want to move.  I was in bed by 9:00, which is unheard of for me.  It was a good thing, though.  I need this.  And it got better as the week went on.  I felt a headache come on Tuesday, and I nipped it in the bud.  No more headaches for the rest of the week.  My boss was out of the office on Wednesday, which was good for me because it gave me a mental break - kind of let the pressure off for me and also let me have a chance to get to know my coworkers a little better.  It was also a terrible day weather-wise, so it was quite slow as far as business, which gave us all a chance to get caught up on work.  By Thursday, I had gotten more training and praise from my boss, which was great.

Friday was my day off, which was much-needed, but so busy!  I had to have my car serviced, do Girl Scout business, get groceries, then finally go to my mom's.  On to the weekend!

By the way, here's my little home-away-from-home.  It still needs some personal touches...
It's awfully hard to reach into that back corner...

No comments:

Post a Comment