Friday, March 22, 2013

HOLY SH*T... a.k.a. Finally, an Answer!

This morning when I woke up, my lip was swollen. Really swollen. As in, I needed to literally tuck it into my mouth to go get my daughter out of bed because even though I hadn't looked at it, I knew it was going to be scary! I went to wake her up and it was a little difficult to speak.

Looking in the mirror first thing in the morning is scary enough, but this was way over-the-top. HO. LY. SH*T. I looked like something out of one of the shows on the Discovery Health channel... The ones where they do an operation to remove the 112-pound tumor from the poor sap's face and they never look normal again.

After our (my lip's and my) shower, I woke Mr. Sunshine to show him - it was good to freak him out first thing in the morning - and got the girlie on the bus, then got some things cleaned and organized as I waited for the local Urgent Care to open for the day.

I hauled The Lip into Urgent Care, and let me just say how great they are there! After a few questions from the triage nurse (and concerned texts from friends as I waited), the PA that I saw deduced that I am, in fact, allergic to one of my medications! You see, this is not my first swelling incident. The first was in November, when I woke one morning with a swollen soft palette. The second was not too long ago - in fact, I wrote about it in February - my tongue swelled throughout the course of the night.

Oh my Lord, I am so happy to have an answer to this ongoing mystery! After picking up a scrip for Prednisone, being told to continue with Benadryl for 24 hours and of course being instructed to stop the medication and follow up with my PCP, I hit my phone to look at the side effects for the drug. Not only is facial swelling one, but so is coughing. Whaaaaat?? I've had this cough since Christmas!! I started taking this drug in October, and I read all of the literature that came with it. I don't recall any of this! No matter, though. Hindsight may be 20/20, but I'd rather look toward the future.

After Mr. Sunshine and I returned from our grocery and lunch run, the Benadryl had caught up with me and I zonked on the Magic Couch for a few hours. By the time I woke up, Freaky Lip had gone down quite a bit!

I'll leave you with these lovely shots. Happy nightmares... ;-)



1 comment:

  1. I don't know hon..While I am glad to see yo back to normal, We could have made some fun Halloween cards with it!

    So glad you are on the road to healing.mwaah

    ReplyDelete