Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Is Sandy a Boy or a Girl?

Well, there's never a dull moment around this place... that's for sure! I've been keeping myself busy getting ready for the Open House and filling custom orders. Have you seen my latest product? I'll make your family out of paper dolls and frame them in a shadow box! They're proving to be quite popular. E-mail me at TheCraftyInsomniac@stny.rr.com for more info on that one.



As if this wasn't enough to keep us busy, we were threatened with Hurricane/Tropical Storm/Post-Tropical Cyclone (really??) Sandy, a.k.a. Frankenstorm. And let me tell you, people around here panicked! Stores were devoid of water and bread, which led me to wonder whether people (other than myself and my family) gather 'round a lantern and eat loaves of bread and drink gallons of water together during power outages. So odd. As for us, we really didn't do anything special to prepare. I just had a feeling that everyone around here was going way overboard. I made sure there were batteries in the flashlights and my phone was charged. I mean, I still have to be able to access Facebook and Twitter!! I also made it a point to cut out extra doo-dads on my Cricut just in case we *did* lose power... That way I'd still have things to keep me busy. Don't need electricity to run a glue stick! All of the area districts cancelled school for Tuesday, so we were looking forward to sleeping in.

We managed to finally carve our pumpkin...


...and the wind started howling and the rain started coming down.  While dinner was in the oven, I went down into the basement just to see what was going on, if anything.  Yep, there was water - in the usual place.  But this time, I was finally able to see where it came from!  The culprit was the window in that part of the basement.  For some reason, it looks like the window well was flooding.  I felt kind of bad for the little toad family that lives in there, because one of them was trying to climb up the window!  Anyway, I took about seven gallons of water off the floor and hoped for the best for the remainder of the night.  And I took relief in the knowledge that the water was coming from the window & well, which is a relatively easy fix...  and not a possible crack in the foundation or walls of the basement!

We crawled into my bed around 8:30 (Daddy was at work) and snuggled up and went to bed.  It was so nice!  Daddy put her into her own bed once he got home and settled.  And the rain and wind continued.

We woke up to gray skies, no rain, no loss of power and a lazy day today.  Everyone got whatever they wanted for breakfast this morning, we made a delicious lunch of pizzaiola and rice, and I worked on a very special order for a customer.  This afternoon I had a phone interview for a temporary medical billing/accounts receivables job, then I traipsed back down into the basement to take care of the mess.  And to be honest, it wasn't as bad as we had anticipated!
 Believe me, I've seen it a lot worse this summer!

And here is the dirty, rotten culprit!  
 Note the mud staining the wall.  Nice touch.
  Scrub brush and I will be spending some quality time together soon!

Shop-Vac to the rescue!

Let us not forget to acknowledge the super-awesome boots!

Let me tell you, I have this down to a science.  My water-removal system is a well-oiled machine - Shop-Vac, bucket, sump-pump and hose.  It's so good, I was done in 45 minutes.  BAM!  Just in time for the rain to start again.

Tomorrow everything should be back to a semblance of normality.  Aside from the fact that it'll be Halloween and every child in the country will be on a sugar and adreneline high, that is!

Let me just leave you with this little nugget of Crafty Insomniac goodness...  hot off the presses.  Ladies and Gentlemen, may I introduce the paper version of the Imagination Movers!  (Live show companions included...)
Left to right:  Brian, Rich, Scott, Smitty, Dave and Kyle
My MM compadres will note that our friend Brian is not wearing his name tag, rather he's holding it.  You'll understand that one...
I'm not quite ready to put these ones on the sales block yet, but perhaps after the Open House.  If you're interested, let me know.  I haven't decided on a price point yet...

Don't forget...


No comments:

Post a Comment