Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Startup

So I'm not sure what I expected, but this "business startup" thing is a lot of, well, work!

I've been going practically every waking moment...  doing something with it.  My mornings used to consist of getting up, getting ready, getting Sassy off to school, then doing the morning dishes, checking my Facebook and Twitter pages...  then (yes, I'll admit it) usually going falling back to sleep on the couch for an hour or two.  Not anymore!  Now as soon as I'm done with the dishes I'm out in my office working.  Cutting out paper on my Cricut, assembling paper pieces, putting together inventory listings, creating forms, printing labels, packaging product...  you name it, I'm doing it!  I've set up my Etsy shop:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftyInsomniac.  I've set up my Facebook business page:  http://www.facebook.com/TheCraftyInsomniac.  I've put together flyers and made business cards.  I'm rocking the business startup!

This happy little birthday cake just about put me over the edge this morning with the sprinkles.  Oy!  lol

Of course, all of this is time-consuming.  Very time-consuming.  To the point where I am almost feeling guilty...  almost feeling a bit neglectful!  Well, it's probably because Miss Sassypants said to me today, "Mommy, could you just not be on your Cricut or your computer or your iPhone?"  Face slap!  I've been so obsessed with building up my product inventory for my first Open House that I can think of nothing else!  This afternoon when we were working on homework together (I had to quiz her on some map questions), she gave me major attitude when I didn't go through the list in order, to the point where she got her first Time Out in months!  When it was all said and done, we talked about it and I got the distinct impression that this was the heart of the matter once again.  This time the point is that she wants to be involved!  We sat together and she put the product labels on the baggies of my paper balloons; she was pretty happy about that.  She wants to help so badly and can't understand that I can't really let her because each one of these little guys is money.  They need to be darn near perfect.

This afternoon, though, we sat down and made paper doll versions of ourselves.  See, our very good friends over at What Kiki Say are heading to Detroit this weekend to see the Imagination Movers.  Usually, we do concerts together...  we're kind of known to travel as a quartet.  We're K2E2!  This time we're not able to make the trip (I'm heartbroken...  I we need my our Movers fix!)  Instead, we're sending along a treat.  Knowing that the boys get a little tired of sweet treats (and that they try to steer away from sweets in general), we made homemade Chex Mix for them to share with the crew on the bus ride.  I thought it would be funny to "go along for the ride," so Sass and I attached paper versions of ourselves to the container!  And here we are...  in living color!

  
Here I am in all my glory...  including my infamous lime green Crocs!
And here's Sassy...  in her Movers suit, as per her request.  She can't make anything easy for Mommy!

It was a fun project to do together, and I think the guys will get a kick out of it.  At least, I hope they do!  :-)

So here we are...  trying to find the balance.  I just keep telling myself that once I get my inventory built up, it'll get better, right???

And remember...  for all of your paper needs:


No comments:

Post a Comment