Tuesday, October 2, 2012

My Brother from Another Mother

I am an only child. Believe it or not, I have been that way my entire life! The way that we grew up in our family, however, all of the cousins were really close; more like siblings. And growing up, I always had a very special relationship with my cousin Anthony. We were definitely more like brother and sister than cousins.


From the time we were very young, we spent countless hours together. We played, made up our own games like "Post Time," based on his dad's favorite watering hole. We would concoct the most horrible drinks from anything and everything we could find in our grandparents' refrigerator and make each other drink them, dragging the hamper out of the bathroom to use as the "bar." We re-enacted all of our favorite episodes of "Mork and "Mindy," "The Greatest American Hero" and "The Muppet Show." We spent hours playing with our Star Wars action Figures and sets, Hot Wheels and just about anything else we could find.  This went on all the way through our teen years.  We'd spend the night at each other's houses, but mostly at our Gram and Pa's...  more than likely driving them insane.

After college, Ant moved to The Big City, a.k.a. New York, and we all saw less of him.  I'll admit it, I always look forward to holidays for the sole reason that I know he'll be home to provide entertainment.  Cuz the fact of the matter is, my little cous marches to the beat of a different drummer.  

Truth be told, I really miss that little sh*t!  We're still here for each other when we need it, though.  He came home and ushered at our wedding, and in turn I had the Star Wars theme as our entrance song at the reception.  And now, the little sh*t is all grown up.  He's married to a beautiful ballerina (!!) named Gwyn...

And now?  Well, now, he's going to be a daddy!  Unbelievable.  No, not unbelievable.  The truth is, I think he's going to be a great, fun, loving and attentive dad.  There, I said it.  Guido is going to be awesome at this "dad" thing.  Don't tell him I said so!  ;-)

Houston, we have a problem!

With their busy schedules, we weren't sure when Anthony and Gwyn were going to be able to come home so we could have a baby shower for them.  And hardly and of us have even met the bride/mother-to-be (but she must be awesome if Ant has picked her!).  So when is the baby shower?  This weekend.  

When is our trip to New York for Emily's friend's birthday?  The one with the visit to the American Girl store and all of the major landmarks?  You guessed it...  this weekend.  Wah!!!  What are the chances?

I texted my favorite boy cousin to tell him the situation, and his response?  
What is this...  Bizarro World?  You're going to NYC the one weekend I'm coming to  Corning??

I heart him.




No comments:

Post a Comment